This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mom's famous potato salad.....

 This is the recipe to my mother's famous delicious potato salad! My husband LOVES this recipe and so do I and so do our kids. It is a very plain recipe, but it is really good.
 Here's the recipe. Please forgive the spelling errors! I copied this from my mother's recipe box back when I was a teenager. The secret to the recipe is one egg to every potato that you put in. It has a real eggy taste.
 First you peel your potatoes. Peel at least one potato per person, but I always throw in several extra because I want to make sure there's enough for everyone to have seconds and my hubby likes to have left overs the next day. My mother taught me to get every little piece of peel off of the potato and to remove any eyes or nicks. She is persnickety about her cooking and cares a lot about the details. It probably doesn't make a difference in the tastes, but it makes a difference if you are eating a pretty light yellow salad and then all the sudden you see a small brown thing, you tend to think its a bug or something!
 After they are peeled, you quarter them.
 Put them in a deep pan and fill about 3/4 full of water.
 Then add 4 T. dry onions.
 Also add salt to taste. Bring them to a boil and then turn off the heat, put the lid on the pot and let them stand for about 20 minutes.
 In the meantime, get out your eggs and put them in a deep pan. Make sure you put in one egg for every potato in the salad.
 I know people have different tricks to make eggs boil better and easier to remove their shells. I add about 2 tsp salt to the water. Bring the eggs to a boil, turn off the heat, put the lid on and let them set for 20 minutes.
After about twenty minutes, check to make sure the potatoes are tender by poking them with a fork. If they are done put them under cold water to cool them. Mom actually doesn't like to get them too cool because she says the flavors blend better when the potatoes and eggs are hot. Just cool them enough that you can easily handle them without getting burned.
The eggs should be done too after about 20 minutes.
So run them under cold water as well to cool them.
Then you cut the potatoes into large chunks.
Place them in a large bowl.
Peel all of your eggs.
Two plain things that soon will turn into something fabulous!!!
Then chop your eggs. I use one of these neat egg slicers.
I know a lot of you have these and know what they are, but for those of you who don't, they are fabulous and make your work go so much faster!
I put my egg through one way, then grab it and...
...lay it back in the opposite way...
...and slice it again...
...this gives me nice bite sized pieces. It is so easy and so quick.
Mix the eggs and potatoes together.
Then you add big dollops of mayonnaise. My favorite mayo is Best Foods Light Mayonnaise. It has a very good flavor, but is a little lower on calories. I can't tell you exactly how much mayo I put in, I just start with a lot and then add more to get the right, creamy consistency. *Remember, NEVER place a spoon or knife that touches meats or eggs back into your mayonnaise jar, as this can cause food poisoning! Sometimes our mayo jars are in our fridge for many months and little pieces of egg, tuna, ham, whatever will rot and you can get very sick.
Mix well until every potato and egg is covered. Transfer it to a pretty serving bowl and then refrigerate for a few hours. Salt and pepper to taste. My mother's recipe calls for a little mustard, which I just do sometimes when I remember. I don't notice that it changes the recipe that much unless I add too much. My husband and kids like this plain version.
Oh boy! Here it is! It is so delicious! You should try it! My son, Mackenzie, likes to put it between two pieces of bread and makes a sandwich with it! You know what though, no matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get it quite as good as my moms! She OWNS this recipe! haha! But I do think I am getting close and I am getting kind of known for my potato salads with our family and friends. Thanks Mom for the great recipe!

"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fattened ox and hatred with it." Proverbs 15:17


Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, you're making me hungry! That salad looks so good. Not anything like mine (which was a recipe from my MIL), but I really like the simplicity of this one. When I make mine it takes all afternoon, at least three hours. I know, crazy! The kids hate hard boiled egg smell and always run out of the kitchen plugging their noses. Ha ha.

Kathi said...

Sharon, I'm the same way. I can never get it to taste as good as Mom's. Yum yum. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...