This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, July 25, 2011

Drop'n an Shop'n...

Recently I took Hayden and a couple of his buddies from church up to church camp, which was about 2-1/2 hours away. It was a long drive, but fun and so worth it for the kids. This is the kind of church camp where your kids get on fire for the Lord! I love this church camp and am so happy that Hayden is going to it. All four of my sons went every year from middle school through high school. It is a little sad for me because this is Hayden's last year. This will be the last time I take any of my kids up to camp. Even though it is a long drive, I am happy to do it for them! They have always come home on fire for God and they always learn a lot about God. I know this camp has contributed greatly to my kids walk with the Lord.
Plus, it's really fun to be with these neat kids for the trip up. I love hearing them talk and be silly. We were cracking up when we saw this semi trailer with this "huge" load....
...hahaha. Isn't that funny! We stopped at Jack-in-the Box for lunch and had a great time.
For security reasons in our changing world, the camp administrators started having us parents drop our kids off at this local grade school and then they bus the kids up to the camp which is about two miles away. In years past we would just drive right to the camp and walk freely around the campus. They had hundreds of parents walking around on campus without any supervision and I could see where this might be a security risk. I actually am glad that they tightened this up, but am kind of sad that I didn't get to take Hayden all the way up to camp to see him off. I am thankful that I got to go on the campus all the years before because it is a really pretty campus and it is so fun to see all the kids up there.
There's Hayden heading off to camp. I am so proud of him and love him so much. I sure hope he has fun and he learns some neat things about the Lord. I hugged him tightly and kissed him goodbye.
So after dropping the boys off at camp, (that's the drop'n part of my story, so here's the shop'n part!) I stopped at this fabulous Goodwill! I call it the "Goodwill by the Pound" because the way it works is, you dig through these huge bins and pick what you want and then they weigh it and charge you $1.39 a pound! Isn't that crazy! It's so crazy, but it's also very fun, especially if you're a digger like me!
This place is always crowded. These folks are lined up around that square on the ground because the workers will be bringing a new bin soon.
Here it comes. Get ready, get set, diggggggg!!!!
I think it is so fun!
You never know what you might find! Here's a cool old picnic basket.
Here's a cloche! I can't believe it's not broken!
Anyone need some roller skates?
It really pays off to dig. I lifted up this shirt and.....
...I saw something ceramic that looks like a plate...
...hey, it's a whole set of Christmas dishes!
Aren't they cute! I love the oval shape. In my cart they go!
I spent about two hours in there! Look at my huge load! I got all this junk stuff for $60.00. You might think that's a lot, but wait until you see what I found!
Wow! Look at all my treasures! I will just show you a few of my favorite things.
I love this wonderful enamelware turkey roaster. Some day I would like a hutch in my kitchen and I think this would be perfect sitting on it in a pretty display. For now it will go in the glass front cabinet above our TV.
This is such a cute little wooden silverware tray. I might attache some glass knobs on the bottom to create "feet" for it to sit on and maybe add some handles on the sides.
I can't believe I found this gorgeous plate with green grapes all over it. It will coordinate nicely with my green transferware dishes.
This wrought iron candle holder will be perfect hanging on our back porch.
I couldn't resist this novelty gun! I think my boys will get a "bang" out of it. Get it..."Bang" out of it...arh, arh, arh!
I like this black shabby chic treasure box with the crystal knob.
I LOVE the plaid frame!
This bee plaque will look perfect tucked into my flower box on the front porch.
Isn't this a pretty little apothecary jar! It has a candle melted in it, but I know I can get it out and clean it up.
I found Eric this cute mug.
I found all of these ties for Hayden! He will need them this coming basketball season. On game days the coach requires that the boys wear dress slacks, dress shirts and ties.
If we paid full price for just these four ties, it would have been $88.00! I couldn't believe the price on the tie at the far right, it retailed for $49.50! Who could pay those kinds of prices? Not me! Granted it's silk, but still that is way out of my league. And that's for only four of them and I found him nine ties! I would NEVER pay that much for a tie, but it sure is exciting to see the original prices!
I found a t-shirt for Eric, Cameron and Hayden and I have seen all of them wear them already!
I found six scarves for myself. I know I don't need six scarves, but when you think about how little they weigh, I probably only paid a quarter a piece for them! When fall rolls around and the days become chilly, I will certainly have fun with my choices in scarves!
I also found a lot of work clothes.
If I paid Goodwill's original prices on them, I would have paid $27.97. The original prices at the retail store were probably at least 19.99 each, so that would have been about $60.00. See, when you think that I paid $60.00 for everything, I really got a great deal!!!
I was thrilled to find this sweet vintage sweater. I love the embroidered flowers on it.
It has a very cool old vintage tag inside too.
I found several cute tops.
I love this cute Old Navy black tank with the cream colored lace across the front. It will be really cute under a little cardigan.
I even found a pair of super cool boots! I think these will be great with jeans or a long skirt.
This is the big thrill of the day. It's a genuine Coach handbag! It has the tag inside and all the snaps and buckles have the Coach stamp on them. It even had the little chain with the leather hang tag that says Coach. I found the same one on ebay going for $149.99!!! Score!!!
I also found this darling Rosetti handbag. I found one really similar on ebay going for $40.00.
I love this Guess handbag too. I love all the hardware. I found a similar one on ebay going for $128.00! I really scored in the purse department today!
This is one of my favorite finds, it's a vintage looking wooden Easter Greetings sign. This will be perfect for my front door next Easter!
I also found these darling floating heart/flag candles. I will put them in my white enamelware bowl filled with water and cranberries and place it on the front steps next 4th of July.
My friend, Mary, gave me the idea last Halloween to stack a bunch of scary story books together for a fun and spooky vignette. I was happy to find these titles, The Patriotic Murders, The Dark Wood, And Then There Were None and Death in the Afternoon! I think I will have fun with these next Halloween. I also found the cute cement looking owl sitting on top.
Here's another cute owl!
I also found this neat cast iron plate with cool pine cones on it. This will be perfect in my fall decor!
A pretty turkey platter!
I'm going to use this pretty swan dish for my powder puff and have it on my shelf in my bathroom!
I can always use pretty candle holders. These are etched ruby glass. I will burn the candles that came with them and then use tea lights after that.
Last but not least, I found these charming Mexican nesting bowls. I thought they would be perfect for our Cinco de Mayo celebration. I was thrilled to see them at an antique show and the big bowl was $50.00 and the middle size was $20.00. The set that the lady had were green and I asked her about them. She said they quit making them in the 50s and that the green were really rare. She said the color I have are more common and probably are not worth as much, but they are still very collectible and it's quite a find to have all three of them. I can't believe I found them at "The Pound" just thrown in those big bins getting kicked around and they did not get broken!

I have only shown you about half of the treasures that I found at the "Goodwill By the Pound" for just $60.00, you can see that I really had a great haul! I know this looks like a lot of stuff, but everything is washed and cleaned and put away. Everything has a place and everything is in it's place!

So this day was really fun starting with taking Hayden and his friends to camp (even though it was sad to say good-bye and I will miss him) and then ending with all my finds at the thrift store!

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39


Hugs, Sharon


P.S. Here are two cute photos hot off the press of Hayden doing gainer flips into the pool at camp!
He had a wonderful time swimming and doing all of the other fun activities, but...
...the best part is that he grew stronger in the Lord. I am so thankful that all of my sons got to attend this fabulous church camp where they do have tons of fun and meet new friends, but the main emphasis is getting closer to God. It's a very spiritual camp where they have Bible studies every morning and church services twice a day with worship times. 


3 comments:

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
It's always so nice to visit your blog. It makes me feel very warm and fuzzy inside!

I hope Hayden is enjoying himself at camp and that the weather will be nice. Sounds like a wonderful camp.

And wow, you really scored some AWESOME finds. I have that exact owl trivet. I found it stuck waaay back in one of my cupboards when I moved here. You really have an eye for shopping and getting amazing things. The clothes, the purses, the ties, the dishes. Oh my! I just haven't been able to get out to garage sales etc. this summer. Boo hoo.

Nice seeing you! :o)

Crows, Suds and Cinnamon said...

What a great shopping trip. I wish we had a Goodwill like that here in California. Our city has a tiny one that is barely worth going into most of the time. Love your Coach purse, what a find that was!

Kathi said...

Sharon, You got some terrific deals; the ties and purses alone. Wow! Wish I had gone with you. I hope Hayden loved camp. The weather was perect. I do wish my kids had gone to his camp. Harrison has been combining every day since 4th of July, with a couple days off. I'm so impressed at your shopping (digging) skills! I love that GW. I'm going to visit there soon. Love ya, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...