This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, July 18, 2011

The sum of my fears....

This is the reason why I was so fearful last week. It's a small set of rapids on the Umpqua River. I am ashamed to say that my fear kind of overtook me. I do have good reason for my fear, but I do not believe that fear comes from God and that I should be trusting God instead of being fearful.

You see, last weekend we floated the Umpqua River in drift boats and camped along the banks of the river for two nights.  I was very afraid because we did this same trip last year and we had an accident (click here to read the full story). My youngest son and his friend were rowing a boat and they hit that rock that you can see kind of in the back of the picture to the right and it caused their boat to flip over. The boys realized that the boat was flipping, so they jumped out and they were fine, but the boat actually sunk and was drug under the water many feet and ended up getting wedged between some big boulders under about 10 feet of water. It took us over an hour to finally retrieve the boat and it was very scary.

I knew at the time that God was protecting us and I was so very grateful. I was so very, very grateful and thankful.  I also knew that from my history, I was going to be a mess the next time we would float this part of the river. I knew that I would be frozen with fear. I avoided thinking about it all year round and as we started talking about the annual Umpqua camp trip in June, feelings of worry started emerging. It really got bad the night before we left; I could not sleep and when I did sleep, I had nightmares about it.
I have been a Christian my whole life and the Lord has been with me through thick and thin throughout my whole life. I know, that I know, that I know, that I know that He is in control. He has helped me so many times, He has shown His mercy and protection to me and my loved ones so many times. So why was I so afraid? Why did I let this fear take hold of me? I am ashamed of myself for letting this fear get to me and grip me. I wrote down scriptures and I  read them over and over. I was in constant prayer. I know that being a Christian does not spare us from trials in our lives, but it means that God is WITH us through our trials. This is so comforting to know. If I know this, than why do I worry? He has a plan for each and every one of us and only He has control over the things that happen in our lives. I don't know why this is not enough to settle me down and cause me to not worry.

God did protect us and we did not have any accidents or even any near misses. I am truly grateful to the Lord and I will be posting pictures from our trip soon. I just wanted to let all of you know what was bugging me last week and I want to confess my lack of faith and that I gave into my worry. I don't want to be a worrier. I just can't help it, it sweeps over me. I know that this is an area I really need to work on and with God's help, I believe I can conquer it.

"Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God." Philippians 4:6


"Thank God in everything, for this is the will of God for you who are in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 5:18

~ In Him, Sharon

4 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Hey Sharon,

Have you read any books written by Joyce Meyer? She is very good at teaching how to use Scriptures to help us line our thoughts up with God's Will for our lives. Battle Field of the Mind and Power Thoughts are two I can recommend;-)

Here are a couple of my favorite Scriptures that speak about our minds/thoughts. (Please excuse the all caps used for emphasis;-)

"For, although we are in the flesh, we do not battle according to the flesh, for the weapons of our battle are not of flesh but are enormously powerful, capable of destroying fortresses. We destroy arguments and every pretension raising itself against the knowledge of God, and TAKE EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE IN OBEDIENCE TO CHRIST." 2 Corinthians 10: 3-5

"Do not conform yourself to this age but BE TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWAL OF YOUR MIND, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Hope this helps. Have a Peace-filled day!

Blessings...<><

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you so much Mary Anne! I am going to write those scriptures down and I'm going to look for those books. I never thought to look for scriptures about taking my thoughts captive in obedience to Christ. This is very helpful. Thank you again so very much!

Have a great weekend!

Fondly, Sharon

Mary Anne said...

You are welcome, Sharon;-) Hope you find the books to be helpful. You have a great weekend as well! Blessings...<><

Kathi said...

I'm so thankful for God's protection over all of you and that you had a good time even in the rain. Hugs, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...