This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Sunday, June 5, 2011

My new friend, Peg!

 The house is all clean, I have pretty classical music playing and the candles are lit. I clipped these pretty lilacs from the bush in our front yard and placed them in a beautiful crystal vase.
 I laid out my pretty coffee mugs with the matching creamer and sugar that were gifts from my dear friend Virginia. I also set out two pretty dessert dishes with pretty forks.
I made a spice cake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkled raisins on top. I made a pot of fresh coffee.
Now I'm just waiting for my very special guest to arrive! I invited my new friend Peg over to visit and have coffee with me, this will be our first official visit!
 Peg is a brand new friend of mine and I'm so excited about it! Our friendship started this way; I started noticing her around town observing that she was a very active older woman and then I spotted her picture in the local newspaper. She writes a weekly regular article.
It's called The Comfort Cook and she gives a recipe each week. I love it that her byline states that her "culinary specialty is cooking comfort food for large groups of people."
The week before we officially met I had noticed the recipe above in the paper and thought it looked good and would be fun to make, so I cut it out. It was called Strawberry Time Cake. It's made with fresh strawberries and miniature marshmallows! Yum!
 A few days later I went to the local Presbyterian church rummage sale.
 And there she was!  She was at the counter running the cash register for the sale.
I stopped to say hello and she was so friendly. I mentioned to her that I had just seen her recipe for Strawberry Cake in the newspaper and that I thought it sounded so delicious. She said, "Kid, it is! If you'd like to try a piece, I've got some here over there in the kitchen and it's marvelous!" She made this cake for all of the ladies who were helping at the rummage sale. I told her I'd love to try some. So we proceeded over to the church kitchen and where she gave me a sample of her delicious cake and just as she said, it was marvelous! We stood there and chatted a bit and the rest is history! We became fast friends! I asked her if she would like to come over to have coffee with me.
 I told her that she is kind of a hero to me. I told her that I see how busy and active she is and I want to be like her when I grow up!
 She said she'd love to come over and have coffee with me!
I told her that I would really like an older woman in my life to give me advice and help me navigate through the empty nest syndrome.
I told her how I admired her for being such an active person contributing to our community in so many ways and she's always working and has a smile on her face.
I told her I would really like to have the influence of an older Godly woman in my life.
Here she is, sweet Mrs. B! We had such a lovely talk! She's amazing! She is very involved in the local Presbyterian church. She is in charge of weekly dinners to help feed our community. She's in charge of the huge community-wide Thanksgiving dinner and she told me that last year she cooked 6 turkeys in her kitchen for this event! She used to own her own business, a little lingerie store where she made beautiful undergarments for larger women. She sings in the church choir and is active in a traveling quartet. She's a member of the Lion's Club. She's on the committee for the local food pantry preparing boxes of food to give to the needy. She takes meals to shut-ins and gives people rides to their appointments. She is an amazing cook and baker, and she loves to can fruits and vegetables. That's just naming a few of the main things that she does.
She was the shot in the arm that I needed. I have been feeling the pains of empty nest syndrome with my main job of being a young busy mother coming to an end. I feel like my life is boring and I don't contribute much. I want to feel more fulfilled and inspired as well as be inspirational to others. I don't want to lay down and die and just let my life roll over me, to unfold the way it will. I want to be an active person and give my extra time and energy to church, charities and clubs. I want to do God's work. I want to be like Peg! She inspired me beyond words! She has been blessed with good health and strength and I sure hope I will too. We had a lovely afternoon! I felt very good when she left because she said she hadn't had that much fun in a long time and she thoroughly enjoyed it! We made plans to can peaches on her back porch in August!
 What a lovely afternoon! I am so thankful that the Lord brought Peg into my life and that we have become friends! Later on that day I had to run to the store and there was Miss Peg sitting at a little table in front of the grocery store with her blue Lions Club vest on that was covered with pins and patches that she's earned. She was selling raffle tickets for a quilt she helped make to earn money for our little town's annual 4th of July fireworks show! Amazing!!!

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5

Hugs, Sharon

2 comments:

Molly's Art Designs said...

That is so sweet, Sharon! I know what you mean--I'm trying to figure out these things too! Blessings- Molly

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
What a beautiful post. I am in awe of both YOU and PEG. It's so wonderful how God brought you two together. He has wonderful plans for the both of you. I got teary eyed reading this. Again, wonderful pics! You should write a book.
Hugs to you,
Mardell

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...