This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Eric's brother came for a visit.....

Eric's brother, Mark, came all the way from Maryland for a visit! It has been a year since we've seen him. Here's Eric's whole family, his Mom and Dad (Jim and Alice), big brother Mark, little sister Stacey and Eric.
We gathered at his parent's house pizza.  Mark tries to come once a year, but this year he came especially to see their mother because she is not doing too well. She has vascular dementia. She is forgetful and falls a lot. She is not safe to be home alone. Their father has been taking care of her and the family just hired a nice neighbor lady to come over twice a week to help clean the house, cook the meals and to keep Alice company while Jim can get away for a little bit to run errands or play golf. Even though Alice is not feeling really well, her attitude has been great and she loves seeing the family.
It's a little bit sad to me to see her like this. So many great memories flood my mind. Since I was 16 and first started going over to Eric's parents house for meals, Alice has always welcomed me and been such a great hostess. She taught me so much in this area. I remember the excitement I had when I was just a teen-aged girl and Alice would invite me over for dinner. I have very specific memories of walking up the cement pathway to their front door. To get to the front door I had to walk past a big picture window looking into their dining room.  As I gazed over, I could see inside to a beautifully set table with pretty crystal and china, and tall tapered candles lit and softly glowing.  I knew we were going to have a good meal and a good evening. She always served appetizers before the meal and we had sit down intimate dinners. She made everything special.

Since she has been ill she has not been able to do that, so the rest of us pitch in and bring appetizers and help make things special and we also have just decided to make things easy and do things like pizza. She still is a great hostess though even though she is bound to a wheelchair and she is always asking if people need something else to drink, etc. It is sad that those days are gone, but I'm so thankful for all the good memories and the main thing is that we are together and I am so thankful that she is still with us!
Hayden couldn't make it because he had to work, but here's Mackenzie, Grayson, Cameron and Brittany visiting.
Beautiful Brittany!
Eric with his Mom and Dad.
Stacey and her husband, Jim, and brother, Mark.
Jim and Alice with Eric and I. We had a very nice evening visiting with family. Eric's mother's health has been declining quite rapidly, so having these family gatherings is so special. I am so thankful that we have been doing these kinds of things for many, many years. Family is so important. 

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and i will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6

Hugs, Sharon

1 comment:

Kathi said...

It was nice that Mark could come out. I'm sorry that Alice is not doing well. She still keeps trying and wanting to do thing; such a role model for all of us. Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...