This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Times are changing...

It's that time again...time for my sister's annual summer visit! Kathi and her kids have come to stay with us for a few days every summer for the past 17 years! This time it was really different though and kind of sad. She only had two of her four kids with her and I only had two of mine and they were all in and out throughout the visit. It just was not the same. Kathi and I realize that our children have grown and those good old days of when they were all little and runny all around us are gone.
In the old days this room would have been full of eight kids doing all kinds of active things, but now it's quiet with basically adult conversation. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy all of the kids as adults, but it's just a new phase we're in and we need to get used to it.
Kathi was so funny. She was doing something in my room and found my three tiaras and she decided to put them all on. What's so funny though is that these are all purchased tiara's, I did not earn them. She's the one who earned one, she was prom queen of the class of 1978!
We decided to go to town but first I needed to water the garden.
The boys played on the trampolene. Hayden was home for a bit in the morning, but then he had to work and he actually had plans that night to go to a friend's house.
Kathi and I took Garrett out to lunch at McDonalds.
We had a fun visiti in the sun.
After lunch we met up with Kathi's husband, Stacey and their two daughters Victoria and Jessica. They brought all their bikes and planned a bike trip down by the river. They also brought Garrett's bike.
Victoria and Jessica.
They also brought Garrett's bike and he went on the bike ride with them and he went back home with them. After we said goodbye, Kathi and I went thrift store shopping! We had so much fun!
When we got back home we found Grayson and Harrison out working on Grayson's buggy. Hayden was at work at the gas station. 
Then they took it out for a spin!
Later the decided to go into town and get Taco Bell and go to the movies.
It's so fun for them to be independent.
Kathi and I went inside and started looking at all of my cookbooks!
We both admit that we are "Vintage cookbook-aholics"!
We both have pretty large collections and we enjoy discussing them and sharing them with each other.
Our other sister, Kelli, is just starting to collect them as well. 
We cannot put our finger on why we love them so much, but there is something about the cute illustrations showing the mother busy in the kitchen. It is so comforting and gives us a cozy feeling. Also, it is so neat to find old ones that are kind of beat up and you know they were used by a hard working woman cooking for her family. They also have great recipes and meal planning ideas!
Kathi is cracking me up in this picture. She's up on a stool looking at all of my cookbooks I have stored in the cabinet above the TV. 
We have so much fun looking at all of them!
They give us what we like to call, "warm fuzzies".
Later we had a great dinner of ceaser chicken salad, bread and wine.
Then we got down to the fun stuff of looking at all of our new cookbook treasures that we found at the thifrt stores earlier in the day!
Later on we made popcorn and watched a chick flick. 
I am so thankful for both of my sisters and I'm so thankful that we have been able to have so many wonderful, wonderful memories together with our children. Over the years all of us have traded off at spending the night at each other's homes with our kids and it has been so much fun! I am so thankful that all of teh cousins really love each other and enjoy each other and that we have a lot of really great memories of spending time with each other. 

This visit was definitely different. I found myself getting sad at times, because we didn't have children all around us, but then I realized that sometimes change is good. This is another phase of the Empty Nest Syndrome and this new type of visit where we get to shop, have girl time and sister time is really wonderful. Although it would be fun to now and again go back in time to those old days, but we know that it is not possible, so we must embrace the new ways and find joy in them!

"I, the Lord, do not change." Malachi 3:6a

Hugs, Sharon

1 comment:

Sue said...

Just think Sharon, in a few years your home and Kathi"s will be filled once again with the sound of children's voices but this time with perfect grandchildren and the memory making will continue.

Having fun making memories with your children is only topped by making even more memories with grandchildren. You and Kati have such a wonderful heritage given to you by your parents, and I always enjoy my visits.
So nice to see Kathi, she is so missed in blogland, and I hope that she will be back soon.
I too collect cook book and enjoy sitting and reading them
Hugs,
Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...