This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Making strawberry Jam with Brittany!

My daughter-in-law, Brittany, and I decided to make fresh strawberry jam! First we went out to the local farm to get our strawberries. This is the farm's sign, isn't it cute! I love that old tractor!
There's Brittany picking out a box of berries.
Mmmmm! Don't they look delicious!
It's so fun to go out to the country to get fresh berries!
Oh how I wish you could smell them!
We bought three flats.
Oh ya, we have one more quick thing to do before we start making jam...
....we had to stop and set out our chairs to reserve our spots for the 4th of July parade tomorrow! This is what all the locals do for the parade and if you don't save your seats, you won't get a good seat! We set them up in a shady spot so we will be nice and comfortable while watching the parade. Okay, now we'll head back home and start making the jam!
The first thing we did when we got home was fill the sink with water and rinsed all the berries.
We washed every single one of them and pulled off all the stems.
I think they look so pretty floating in the water!
Now they are all clean and de-stemmed.
We had a lot of berries!
The next step is to mash them up.
This takes lots of elbow grease.
We worked so hard, we decided to take a lunch break!
We had a great lunch!
Now it's back to work!
First you take 2 cups of mashed strawberries and add 4 cups of sugar.
You need to make sure your measurements are exact!
Stir the sugar until it's completely dissolved.
Make sure you mix it very well.
After it's completely mixed, let it stand for ten minutes.
We had a production line going and made four bowls at a time.
After ten minutes this is how it looks.
The next step is to add one 1.5 oz package of pectin. I prefer Sure Jell pectin because it is so easy to work with. I've tried other brands and this is the best.
Once the water comes to a boil add the pectin all at once and stir.
Continue to stir it constantly for one minute.
Add pectin mix to the fruit and sugar mixture.
Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about three minutes.
Pour the jam into prepared containers leaving 1/2 inch space at top for expansion during freezing then put the lids on.
Let the jars stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set.
Wow, they turned out beautifully! These jars may be stored in the freezer for up to one year. Our family goes through about one large jar a month, so we froze 12 quarts for my house and Brittany took home about 6 quarts. We also made small jars for both of us to give away as gifts next Christmas.
There is something so satisfying about canning jam, it makes me feel like a vintage housewife! It was so much fun making jam with Brittany; we had a great day! I love her so much; she is the best daughter-in-law! Making jam is fun and easy and it tastes so very good!

"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks." Proverbs 31:17
Hugs, Sharon

5 comments:

heartfelt living said...

What a wonderful day you two had and the jam looks so yummy.
It is almost strawberry season again and I can't wait!
~Karen

Beth said...

Hi Sharon!

I'm so glad you are bag blogging. I love reading your blog. I had a question about your canning. Can you really freeze the jam in the glass jar? I didn't think you could do that. I make freezer jam, but I put them in plastic. I love glass though.
Beth

Rose of Sharon said...

Hi Beth! Yes, you can freeze jars! They work perfect! I have done it for years, maybe they don't recommend it, but I never knew that and have always froze them, defrosted them, used them, washed them and did it all again over and over. :0)

A Romantic Porch said...

Hi Sharon, I HAVE to do this this spring. It looks so yummy. I am praying for my daughter in laws already. Have since my son's were tiny babies. You give me hope.
I read your blog faithfully but haven't been able to comment lately. I know this comment is long, but I just wanted to give you an update on my blog.

On February 24, 2011, my blog "A Romantic Porch" was hijacked.


Yep,that's right, it was totally stolen and taken from my control.


The "hijacker" added advertisements, moderated my comments and took previous posts from my drafts and moved them to the current day. Then "Hijacker" took a post from another blog that I love and posted it as mine. I could do nothing about any of this. "Hijacker" had complete control of my blog. However "Hijacker" was "kind" enough to set up a "copy cat blog" that has my previous blog postings on it.


After considerable discussion with a couple of moderators from Blogger Help Forum, my blog with my previous address was deleted.


So, rachelgoing.blogspot.com is no longer a viable blog address. It appears as though seven other blogs were "hijacked" after mine. To those of you who were following me, my new blog address for "A Romantic Porch" is rachelgoingonline.blogspot.com. I am sorry for this inconvenience. I am sorry that several years of blogging has come to this. I will continue to feature your beautiful porches each month and get the archives of the previously featured porches linked into the blog as quickly as I can. My work schedule and family needs have to be my first priority...attending to life. However, I don't want to let my blog go.


Thank you for checking on me. It means so much. I appreciate those of you who have let me know you missed my blog. The past year has been challenging for many of the ones I love and my friends in blogland. It has been challenging for our family too. There is a fine line between letting a dream die and getting up every time you are knocked down.


I have thoroughly enjoyed having a blog since my niece set this one up for me in 2007 and emailed me and said, "Now blog!" or something like that! And so I will blog. I will get up and press on. That's the way I was raised. That's how my husband and I live here at "A Romantic Porch". I will make each day as extraordinary as I can and I will savor each moment, yes even the challenging moments and I will blog!

Thank you so much for taking time to listen. This blog thing is amazing and frightening all in the same package. Hopefullly I am up and running now.
xo rachel

Rose of Sharon said...

Rachel! I am soooo sorry to hear what happened to your blog. That is just so sad and so unbelievable! It is scary to think that someone can hack in and steal all of our hard work and our personal stories. I'm glad you are fighting though. I hope that some how you can retrieve your old stories.

God bless you,
Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...