This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Our sweet neighbor, Hal

This is a little story about our neighbor across the street named Hal. He's the older gentleman standing there in the navy plaid shirt talking with my husband while he's washing his truck.
He is 85 years old and has a wonderful southern accent. He is such a friendly and nice man!
When we moved in our home 16 years ago I was so happy when we met him and his beautiful wife Pauline.
He is one of those kind old gentlemen who are wonderful to have as neighbors. I never prayed about this, but it was one of those blessings from God that I'm so glad He gave to us without praying!
You see when I was a little girl, we had a very kind old man for a neighbor. His name was Mr. Cornett. I would often ride my bike up the street to Mr. and Mrs. Cornett's house and play. Mrs. Cornett would invite me in and let me play with her granddaughter's Barbies. Their home was always so warm and cozy and she seemed to always be cooking something that smelled delicious. Mr. Cornett was always so cheerful and friendly he seemed to always be outside puttering around in his yard. He always talked to me as though I was the most important person around!
I loved Mr. Cornett and I really wanted my kids to have the same type of neighbor to experience during their childhood.
Sadly though, in this day and age, we have to be aware to be very careful with our children, where they go and who they are around. So I was very careful when we first started to get to know him and of course over time we got to know him and learned that he's just a sweetheart. Also, my kids never really went inside the house, they always just talked with him over the fence, near the mailbox or out in the driveway.
I feel like it was such a blessing for my kids to have this kind, elderly, Christian man in our neighborhood and in their life. I think it is so valuable for children to learn from the elderly and also to learn how to be respectful to them. His wife, Pauline, has always been such a sweetheart too and she even used to take the younger boys to vacation Bible school at their church.
Hal is the type of neighbor who would watch our house when we were gone and would pick up our mail and our newspaper for us when we were traveling. He also brought over fresh tomatoes from his garden every summer. We exchange baked goods at Christmastime too! I always liked it to because if anything was ever going on at our house he would walk over and talk to us about what we were doing and just to catch up, just like he is doing in these pictures.
I am writing this post because I want to always remember him. He has aged a lot since we moved in and his health has not been good.
I miss the days when we used to see him out almost daily riding his bike around the neighborhood.
He has given up bike riding and we occasionally will see him and Pauline taking a stroll around the neighborhood or working in their yard.
It's the circle of life and before you know it, Eric and I will be in our 70s and 80s and we'll be the old couple in the neighborhood.
I think we should look at it like a ministry. Mr. and Mrs. Cornette didn't even realize they we're helping shape my life with their kindness and for sharing bits of their world with me from a different generation.
And Hal doesn't even realize that he has done the same in my boy's lives. I pray that Eric and I will be like that some day and influence some young kids in the neighborhood! Our visits with Hal are fewer and further apart, but it is always so wonderful when they happen! I pray that the Lord will bless him and Pauline and keep them healthy and happy.

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Pear Tree Lane Farmhouse said...

What a wonderful start to my day, Sharon, I observed Eric in the photos, and how he took the time to listen and talk to M. Cornette.
And Yes, we can learn so much from those who are older and have experienced life.
Enjoy your day, and as always I leave so blessed.
Sue

Jan Parrish said...

What a refreshing post in an age where youth is glorified. We now live in an age-restricted community. You have to be 45 to live here. Greg and I are the youngest in the neighborhood. We, too, are looking at it as a ministry. Yesterday I baked poppy seed muffins and prayed about who they should go to. God directed me to the neighbor on the corner. Turns out he had surgery last week. I love it when God directs my path.

Sharon said...

Hi Sharon!!!!
So great to stumble upon your blog. My name is also Sharon, im also a Christian woman with 2 sons. Been married also to a wonderful man for 12 years (27 Feb). I am a computer teacher at Clarendon Primary Schools in East London (South Africa) in the Eastern Cape. I tried to do my own blog but only got as far as choosing a name for my blog and saving it. No content yet, i guess getting started is the hardest part. You know us in South Africa are slightly behind with technology. Anyway great chatting to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...