This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Getting the yard ready for summer!

The weather has gotten better and we are finally able to work in our yard! We have had such a wet spring with rain just about every day that we were unable to get out there and work.
It was so nice to finally have a decent weekend to work in the yard and get it ready for summer! Here's Eric planting gladiola bulbs and you can see Hayden in the background mowing the grass.
My husband is not a grand gardener, but he has always enjoyed planting a garden and planting a few flowers and bulbs.
We both love gladiolas. They grow to be so big and pretty and they are so old fashioned looking!
Oh boy! Here's the pool and it needs a ton of work! We've had it covered up with a tarp for the winter and the tarp has collected a lot of rain water and debris from the trees.
Which is a perfect breading ground for frogs! We found a ton of these little polliwogs in there!
When we pulled the tarp off they all escaped into the pool. I didn't want them to die when we drained it and put the chemicals in, so we got a net and saved as many as we could and transported them to a little pond that we have.
It was so nice to be able to walk around our yard and look at everything, but it was sad to see this.
We have some kind of bugs or fungus eating away at our plum tree.
We also learned that our cherry trees are not producing fruit this year because of all of the rain, freezing weather and wind storms. I was so bummed because I love having fresh cherries! I sure hope they will produce fruit for us next year.
Here's Eric tilling up the garden.
He loves to plant a garden and he has planted one every year since we've been married except the summer we moved into this house and the summer we put the house on the market. He even planted one in our first little duplex the first summer after we were married! That's 28 years of gardens! :0)
I don't have a natural green thumb. I'm Eric's assistant and help weed and water the garden and I plant the color spots around the yard. This is an area of interest of mine, however, and I do want to learn more about gardening as my schedule opens up with the kids growing up. I love to look at magazines with pretty Victorian gardens and I would love to do that to our back yard! For now though, I am the master gardner's assistant and I'm getting to plant my little herb garden now, why don't you come along with me!
But first, before I get into that, I must show you my darling new little pink gardening gloves! Aren't they so cute!!!
Okay, back to the task at hand. First I till up the soil with my little hand rake.
I furrow the ground and sprinkle in the seeds.
Gently cover the seeds with dirt.
Then I mark the rows with the seed packets. I planted Parsley, Chives, Sage, Cilantro and Basil. The last step is watering them. I must remember to water them every day now and make sure that they get lots of sunshine!
Eric's doing the same thing on a grander scale up in the garden!
He just sowed the seeds and is sprinkling fertilizer on.
The next step is to gently cover the seeds.
Hayden was helping us and he killed two birds with one stone. He trimmed the apple trees...
...and then used the sticks...
...as markers for each garden row!
The garden is all in!!! Here's the tomato plants.
Here we have some cucumbers, zucchini and pumpkins.
Here are some radishes.
The garden is all in now! It will be so fun to watch it grow!
Now Eric is down working in the grass.
I also hung a new bird feeder above the bird bath.
I hope that we'll get many visitors!
I also went to the storage area in the garage and got out all of our cushions for the patio furniture!
Now it's time for the fun stuff!!!
I love planting the color spots and making pretty pots of flowers! Wow, what a great day we had working in the yard. There is something so satisfying about getting your hands in the dirt and to be able to stand back and look at all that you have accomplished through hard work. Now we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor! Stay tuned to see how it all turns out!

"Build ye houses, and abide; and plant ye gardens, and eat their fruit." Jeremiah 29:5

Hugs, Sharon

3 comments:

Erin said...

Your yard is so beautiful! Is that an enamel bathtub for your herb garden? So cute!

Elizabeth said...

Your yard is beautiful, and I love your pink gardening gloves!

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you Erin and Elizabeth for stopping by and thank you for the compliments!! We really enjoy our yard! And Erin, yes, that is an old enamel bathtub. It works perfectly as an herb garden. :0)

Hugs, Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...