This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Friday, March 12, 2010

Trying to grow olive seeds is the pits....


These are four little olive seeds that I am drying in my sunny windowsill in hopes that one day they will grow into beautiful, plush, olive trees!
This little story actually starts way back in November of 2009 when we went on a California vacation and went with our friends to Six Flags theme park.
When we were waiting in line to get on the "Scream" ride, there were beautiful shade trees all around us. I looked on the ground and noticed that there were little pods of some kind on the ground. I asked my friends what they were and they said, "Oh, those are olives from the olive trees all around us" I picked one up and peeled away the hard shell and found the seed inside. I decided that I would take four of them home and try to grown them!
I set them in the window and let them dry for a few weeks.
Well, they seem dry enough now and ready for me to plant them!
I found a cute vintage pot, filled it half way full of dirt and gently laid the seeds there.
I ever so carefully covered them with more dirt.
I then patted down the dirt to make it nice and firm.
Then I water them.
And then I waited.
.....and waited.....
.....and waited some more. Sadly, after several weeks, I saw no activity or growth.
I decided to investigate.
I used a spoon for a trowel and carefully dug into the dirt.
I finally spotted a seed.
I continued to work until I found all four seeds.
Sadly.....
....upon inspection, there was no signs of any growth of any kind.
I got nothing, zero, zilch, nada! I guess I just wanted to show you that things don't always work out the way that we plan. Sometimes we can put a great effort into something and it just never seems to end like we had hoped.

Does this mean that I'm a failure? Does this mean that I never plant seeds again. Heaven forbid, no! It just means that the seeds were not dry enough or that the growing conditions were not optimal. What does this say about failure in life? I think with life, we often have hopes, dreams or ideas that we plant and they do not come to fruition and we sometimes feel like failures, but we need to keep trying and keep praying. We need to remember that our almighty God is in control of everything and He has a plan for us and we need to get aligned with His plans for our life. We need to keep going and keep growing!

You've heard that old phrase, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" well, there is a lot of merit to that phrase. We must keep going on and keep trying and we should be praying and asking God to guide and direct us by opening and closing doors for us. Today I have learned that the olive seeds wont grow for me, but I can plant all kinds of other seeds that will eagerly grow for me, so I must never stop trying!

"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever." Psalms 52:8

"Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table." Psalms 128:3

In Him ~ Sharon

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Beautiful post...it blessed me...thank you!

Jan Parrish said...

How about trying to grow them in a wet paper towel in a pill box? Just a suggestion.

I had an experience like that too. True. It's much like life. :)

shamrock fields said...

What a sweet story...kind of like a parable..so true!
Molly

Kathi said...

Very true and so touching Sharon. Thank you for sharing this.

Kathi

Sanjay said...

What you sowed is the Olive pit, not the seed. All you need to do is to get the actual seed out of the pit by using a file/little saw. Try that next time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...