This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Sunday, January 23, 2011

It was supposed to flip, but it flopped....

My son, Cameron's girlfriend, Megan is having a birthday and I am making her a special family dinner. I asked her what kind of cake she'd like for her birthday and she requested Pineapple Upside-Down cake.
Not only have I never made one before, but I also have never eaten one! I'm excited to try this!
I didn't have a recipe, so I found this one on the internet (click to enlarge).
It's actually quite simple! First you place 1/4 cup of  butter in a 13x9 dish.
You but the dish of butter in the oven for a few minutes to melt the butter.
The you take 1 cup of brown sugar and dump it in the pan.
Arrange the sugar evenly in the pan.
Next you open the can of sliced pineapple and drain. Add enough water to the pineapple juice to equal 1-1/4 cups liquid and reserve for later.
Then you place the pineapple rings on top of the brown sugar/melted butter mix.
Then you put a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple.
Aren't they cute!
I love how this looks!
After that you make a yellow cake mix according to the package directions.....
...substituting the pineapple juice for water.
Mix until completely blended.
Then pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries.
Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until....
....a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately run knife around side of pan to loosen the cake.
Then place a heatproof tray over the cake, hold firmly and....
....flip it over onto tray.
Well....this is where I went wrong! My cake flopped instead of flipped. :0(
Your supposed to let it sit there upside down for several minutes to let the gooey buttery brown sugar, pineapple and cherries soak onto the cake.
 I cut off the cake that didn't make it.
Next you lift the baking dish off of the tray and voila, you should have a beautiful pineapple upside down cake.
But sadly, mine looks a little off centered! Surprisingly though, it doesn't look too bad.
It actually looks really pretty!
The brown sugar and butter made a caramelized topping.
I know what I did wrong, this tray is curved and a little too small. Next time I will use a larger flat tray that fits over the cake pan completely.
I'm actually pretty impressed!
I sampled the part that broke off and it's REALLY good!
Come back tomorrow to see how Megan liked it and how we celebrated her birthday!

"It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore I will hope in Him." Lamentations 3:22-24

Hugs, Sharon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...