This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Monday, September 13, 2010

He's the first kid across America to play the new Halo game!

My son, Hayden, loves to play XBOX and his favorite game is Halo. A few weeks ago he ordered the brand new version Halo Reach that had not been released yet. The official release date that it would be available to purchase across America was 9/14/10. So on 9/13/10 Hayden got this FedEx package in the mail and I didn't know it was anything special, I just laid it on the counter. When he came home from school and football practice, he saw it laying there and pretty much freaked out!
I asked him why he was extra excited about it and he informed me that it was the new Halo game called Reach.  He then told me about the release date being tomorrow, but he had the game in his hands today, meaning.....he was one of very few people across America to be playing this game first! He said it was a mess up and he should not have gotten it, so this was a really exciting, big deal!!!
But....there's a glitch...he was grounded at the time from playing XBOX for two weeks. What's a parent to do? Well, I knew what I was going to do. I knew this was once in a lifetime thing and I didn't want him to miss it. So we negotiated (my husband was gone, so I was handling this myself).
The deal: He could play for one hour, but it would add a whole day to his grounding. He was more than happy to take the deal.
Being a parent is difficult at times like this and I think some parents get too hard nosed about things and don't listen to their kids hearts. I love my son. I want him to be happy. I also want him to be responsible and he does need to pay the consequences for his actions and he needs to pay the piper when he is punished, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, like this one that we need to look at the bigger picture.
My boy is a good boy, a really good boy. I knew that he would pay his dues with his grounding. I also knew that if I didn't allow him to play, he probably would have understood, but he also could potentially start building up resentment and bitterness towards me, which could build and fester into resentment towards all authority. I'm not saying, give into your kids whenever they beg you or have a fit, that would be wrong and foolish. We need to be responsible and firm, but also sensible, this is how we gain their respect. Plus Hayden was not doing this, he was not having a fit, yelling and demanding, he asked me humbly if he could please play the game.
I would have missed this awesome moment with my son if I said no. He was so happy and excited and he even wrote it on his Facebook wall and all his friends were so excited for him. I feel good that I took part in creating this exciting, fun moment in his life. After he played for an hour, he very respectfully turned it off and he waited out the rest of his grounding term plus one day to play it again.

I am so thankful that God gave me the wisdom in this situation. I have prayed for years that God would give me wisdom in all areas of my life, but especially with raising our sons. God says in His word that if we ask for His wisdom, He will give it to us. I know that God has given me wisdom and He has helped me in many situations with my kids.

It all worked out so great and this truly is one of those moments with Hayden that I will keep in my heart forever.

"Fathers (and mothers), do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord." Ephesians 6:4


Hugs, Sharon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...