This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Goodbye Bailey, we'll miss you......

We've had a hard time around here. We had to put this beautiful dog to sleep... :0(
We all loved her so much, but she had a very serious aggression problem.
Look at what a beautiful puppy she was.
When we first got her, we all fell in love instantly.
It has been such a hard decision, but we slowly started seeing signs that she was dangerous.
It all started when she was about a year old. She had a weird skin condition, so the veterinarian put her on a steroid medicine.
Soon after starting it we realized she was becoming very aggressive.
At the time we noticed this she only had two pills left, so we let her finish the RX and once she was off of them she became her sweet self again. Click here to read the full story.
Well, almost another year went by and she kept having moments of these angry mean outbursts where she would growl at us and show her teeth.
We did everything we could to control it.
She had a beautiful life with us and we were very good to her.

There was no reason for these scary outbursts.
Sometime in December of 2009 her behavior became more and more aggressive.
We knew we had a ticking time-bomb with her.
We were not sure if the day would come or not when she would actually attack one of us or, God forbid, a small child.
Well, the day came....
Grayson was hugging her and for no reason she turned on him and bit him on his face on his cheek. Thankfully, Grayson was okay. She did penetrate the skin, but it was not a real serious bite.
Upon hearing this news my husband called the vet.
We asked her, begged her, pleaded with her for an answer to this problem.
We asked her if there was anything we could do. We asked if there was any medicine or treatment we could give her to help with this aggressive behavior.
Sadly, the vet said there was nothing we could do.
She said that once a dog shows this aggressive behavior with growling and now biting, especially biting her owner, that there is no going back.
Also, Bailey has a family history of terrible aggression which also factors into this equation.
When my husband and son bought her as a puppy, the owners informed them that Bailey's father had malled and killed another female dog that he had mated with.
At the time we thought it was an interesting fact, but...
...we didn't know that this was something we should be concerned about.
We didn't think that this could be something that our new precious puppy could inherit.
In retrospect, we now know.
This little fact in Bailey's family history was indeed very important.
We were all heart broken when we heard this news.
The vet said that she cannot tell us to put our dog down, but she said that if she had a dog that bit one of her kids she would put the dog down.
We all knew what we had to do.
It was very sad. We had to put or beloved Bailey dog to sleep.
We all hugged her and said our goodbyes. These were Hayden's last moments with her. :0(
It was quite sad and tearful.
On her last day, Eric came home from work, hugged her tightly and played a ton of Frisbee with her until she was exhausted. He then asked if she wanted to go for a ride and she jumped in the truck and he took her one last time to the vets office. This was so heartbreaking for Eric, but he knew he had to do it. Needless to say, that evening it was quite solemn around here.

I know that she was "just" a dog, but she was our pet, our beloved Bailey, practically another member of the family and it was heartbreaking. She was so funny and oh so smart! She was so willing to play and please us. She was fearless and fun! We loved her. She knew she was loved. She loved us. That night was a very hard, sad night. We prayed and God did comfort us. All we have now are the really good memories with this great dog.

"Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4

Love, Sharon

6 comments:

Happy@Home said...

Hi Sharon,
I just learned from your sister that you are blogging once again. Welcome back. I have missed reading your blog.
This post had me near tears. I can only imagine how hard that decision was for you and your family. As a dog owner, I know they do become a member of the family.

adsgram said...

Sharon...I so feel your pain, and your family was much smarter than we were. I had a Basset Hound who did the same thing, but I couldn't bring myself to put him down. We had to keep him away from any visitors and he DID get nutty with us sometimes as well, but I loved him so that I just endured the rough times for 12 years. In retrospect, I would never do that again...God bless you and your family for all the love you gave Bailey and you did the right thing. It wasn't an easy decision, I know.

Lynn ♥♥
dlynne172@yahoo.com

Joyfull said...

I am also here from your sister's blog and so happy to hear you are blogging again. You invite us through your blog into your home, life and family and it is such a blessing getting to know you all. I feel like I know all of your boys and daugher in law! Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. The pictures of Bailey clearly show the love shared with one another and we can only imagine the pain and loss you all must be feeling. Thank you again, for sharing and allowing us to be a part of the good times and challenging times you face with grace and faith. Blessings to you.

Stephanie said...

Sharon, I was so happy to see you were blogging again, I turned mine off, too many people I work with would look at it and they arent the nicest people. However, I do read them. Im so sorry to hear about your dog, that would be so hard. This story made me cry :(
I hope you continue to blog throughout the holidays.....take care ! Stephanie

Sue said...

Sharon, I was sorry to read about this, I know it was very hard for all of you . You do have wonderful memories as was evident here in the photos.
Hugs,
Sue

Kathi said...

I'm so happy you are blogging again Sharon. Oh Bailey was so so cute when she was a puppy, and such a sweet dog. I'm sorry she died. I still have her paw prints in my Bible, when she jumped up on me, a sweet memory from your home. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...