This blog is simply the story about my little life
with my sweet family that the Lord has blessed me with
and the day in, day out things that we do.
It basically is my online diary/photo album of our life.
I'm glad you're here!
~~~o0o~~~

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Making apple pie with Grayson!

My husband bought several of boxes of apples this year to make applesauce and after he was finished there were a lot of left over apples, so I decided to make a pie.
When my son, Grayson, came home from work he said, "Hey, are there enough apples for me to make a pie for Rachelle?" You see, Rachelle is his girlfriend of almost two years and he often does really sweet things for her. I promptly replied, "Of course we do!"
So the two of us worked in the kitchen together and made two pies! Eric bought a new apple peeler/slicer this year and boy is that thing slick! It worked awesome and made the job so much easier!
After we peeled and sliced them we cut them into small pieces. My favorite apple pie recipe is from the Better Home's and Garden's cookbook. First you start with 6 cups of thinly sliced and peeled apples.
To this you add 1 cup of sugar,
2 tablespoons of flour,
1 teaspoon of cinnamon,
and a dash of nutmeg.
You stir it all up and let it set while you make the crust.
For the crust you simply mix 2-1/2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 2/3 cup of buttery flavored shortening.
Cut in the shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. Then you slowly add 6-8 tablespoons of water and mix in with a fork until it's all moistened.
Divide the dough in half and form two balls. Roll out half of the dough on a lightly flowered surface forming a circle of about 12 inches in diameter.
Lay the flattened circle of dough into a glass pie dish and fill with the apple mixture. Roll out the second piece of dough and lay on top. Seal and flute the edge. Sprinkle some sugar atop and poke the top with a fork to let the pressure escape while baking.
Here's Grayson rolling out his dough.
He decided to make a lattice top pie,which turned out so pretty!
I was impressed with how dedicated he was and how well he did!
Isn't that pretty! Now you put foil around the edge and bake it in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 20 or 25 minutes more until the crust is golden.
Mmmmm, they are sure smelling good!
It looks like they're done!
They turned out delicious! Rachelle was so surprised when Grayson took his to her and she was so appreciative. My husband sure enjoyed mine too! It was so much fun cooking in the kitchen with Grayson!!!

"May He grant you the desires of your heart." Psalm 20:4

Love, Sharon

9 comments:

Connie said...

Aaaaah, I love the red colors, sugar, and I also love a man who can bake a pie. Ask him if he wants to marry me. LOL
xoxo,
Connie

gin said...

Hi Sharon, glad you are back. I've missed looking in on you everyday to see what you are up too.Your new look is lovely.

adsgram said...

No reply needed..just glad you are back! Love your Playlist, too!

Lynne
dlynne172@yahoo.com

Amy said...

So glad you are back. I love the new blog and I look forward to catching up with you. God bless!

grey like snuffie said...

Oh my...it's after midnight and I'm now hungry for pie. I LOVE pies. So lovely to be able to peek into your world again....it always kept me encouraged that there were other families like ours...even though we're different in so many ways God and family seem so very important to all of you. Helps my heart to see that.

~Tonja~ said...

Hey Sharon....just stopping in to say hi...love the new look of your blog...I have the same rooster pic in one of my headers too...love it
those pies sure look yummy...it is the same way I make my apple pies...have a Blessed day...
Sweet Blessings
Tonja

luvmy4sons said...

Good to see ya around again. Love the look. Wow. He reminds me of my second son who likes to create and cook. Blessings.

Heather said...

Mmm, those pies look delicious! what a sweet boy to bake one for his girlfriend :)

karen said...

Hi Sharon.
Love the new blog.
Glad you are back.
I've really missed your posts.
It's lovely to see you and your family again!
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...